Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Update - My Scribbles

The Enigma of Gratitude


The very moment I let go of gratitude, is the moment I began to truly live.


We’ve had a strained relationship; gratitude and I. It was, at a time, my safety net and my pitfall; my comfort blanket and my bed of nails; it would firmly ground me and scathingly belittle me all at once. For me, gratitude was the playground of quiet self-loathing and hopelessness.

I am, by no means, claiming any solid scientific evidence or psychological studies having any involvement in this; in fact Google begs to differ on my theory. I am merely basing this on my own personal experience with gratitude. As far as the mass population is concerned, there are no negative side effects in displaying gratitude.

Dozens of articles that I came across claim that showing more gratitude is the key to a happy life. I have read books that preach of the benefits of living a grateful life. Now I agree, to a certain extent; that yes, gratitude is great and perhaps gratitude leads to a happy, fulfilled life; however, I have come to find that it can be catastrophically destructive towards the self if not practiced in moderation...More

©Sarah O'Regan
..................................................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment