Monday, June 6, 2016

Update - My Handywork


Fairy Garden



We all know the best time to catch a glimpse of a fairy is during the hot summer days.

Why not entice one or two with their very own fairy garden? 

As making your own garden is all about imagination and creativity, I haven't put together a step by step tutorial, just a few snaps of the process.

I started by checking out Google for inspiration and eventually melded together a garden of my own.

It's not totally complete, I'm just short a pump and some solar lights.




Don't rush your decision when it comes to choosing your flowers. I generally will pick my favourite and then select other plants to compliment it.
In the end I went with pink splendens, orange daisies and some very deep purple violas, which look almost black; I thought they looked a bit mystical and would fit right in in my fantasy garden...  



The pride of my garden, a purple delphinium.




I thought this half whiskey barrelled would give the garden a nice rustic look. Whatever type of container you choose, make sure it's nice and deep and wide to allow enough space to fit in your plants and features.




I decided that I wanted a pond/spring and wanted to give the garden varying levels. I started by placing some compost along the bottom. Still in its pot, I placed the delphinium in. I then put a watertight container into the barrel,  placing more compost underneath so the brim is at the same level as the delphinium.
I cut some bamboo into asending sizes and placed them around the first plant. These will act as a mold for the raised foundations.
Careful not to knock the bamboo out of place, I took the first plant back out and removed it from its plastic pot, put it back into the barrel and placed compost around it.
I built up the compost around the pond and placed in the violas.



I continued to build up the compost at different levels around the bamboo, while placing in the final plants, until a nice steady slope formed.







I gathered up some rocks and pebbles and placed them inside and around the watertight container




I layered some pebbles out on the slope. A pump will be added and some waterproof membrane at a later date to create a trickling waterfall.







I poured some water into the rocky pond



I added some frogs, butterflies, fairy potion and a baby dragon...




As well as a swing made out of bamboo, garden wire and ribbon...





And a tree out of bamboo and pink flexible cane



Finished Garden



© Sarah O’Regan
..................................................................................................................................

Home

No comments:

Post a Comment